Monday, July 13, 2015

Gingham at Grant || Summer Daytime Around Chicago

IMG_22f26

After a difficult few weeks, a low key birthday around my city was just what I needed.  I could spend countless hours exploring Chicago... endless secrets whisper from 18th & early 19th century architecture around every corner it seems.  South Loop holds so many virtually untouched historical buildings and monuments ... some parts almost feel like stepping back in time.  Our first stop was Grant Park, where a row of historic edifices such as 1893-built Congress Hotel stand prominently as a backdrop.  Grant Park was established in 1844 and the famous Illinois Central Railroad placed tracks through the area in 1852.

Then it was on to drinks at the Drawing Room of The Chicago Athletic Association of 1890.  I am shocked every single day at the surprises this city has to offer.  This stunning Venetian Gothic-style landmark was originally the most prestigious men's club for Chicago, where Olympic athletes of old gathered for billiard, cigars, poker, and brandy.  For decades it has been lying untouched and deserted, while it's swanky grand decadence slept frozen in time.  You might have seen one of the beautiful staircases I highlighted on my instagram a few weeks ago, and today I'm showing you a little taste of the Drawing Room where we enjoyed champagne and Old Fashioneds.  There is also a glamorous rooftop restaurant which was closed during our visit, but I have plans to return soon so stay tuned!  My perfect day ended with a change into evening attire and dining at one of my favorite restaurants.

I wanted my outfit to be appropriate for daytime in the summer and fitting of both indoor and outdoor activities, with a lot of walking!  My skirts from Miss Candyfloss are always my go-to pencil skirts.  This sassy number is fitted and curve-enhancing, but a good amount of stretch for comfort and mobility.  I paired it with my favorite gingham top from Unique Vintage which has a built-in bra, so no brassiere needed... I was comfortable and yet I felt chic and polished all day!

IMG_21e21
IMG_2j153
IMG_2186
IMG_2104IMG_2279
IMG_2118
IMG_2222 copy
IMG_2098 copy
IMG_2268
IMG_2248
IMG_2286
IMG_2235
IMG_2210 copy
IMG_2271
Skirt :: Miss Candyfloss
Sunglasses :: Unique Vintage
Hair Clips :: Heart of Haute
 Shoes :: Similar & love these

5 comments:

  1. This look is the very definition of summer - playful and feminine. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look is the very definition of summer - playful and feminine. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look is the very definition of summer - playful and feminine. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uauuuuuuuuu... Estas guapísima....un beso desde Murcia... Te invito a España?,,,,

    ReplyDelete

Ciao and thanks for stopping by! I read and appreciate each and every comment so much. Feel free to also connect with me on Instagram and Twitter - all links are on my sidebar.

X baci
Rachel