Friday, August 21, 2015

Fashion at the Races || Guest Judge at Arlington International Million Day

i-DdTfGqc-X2

When Fashion at the Races founder Bri Mott asked me to be a guest judge on the panel for this Arlington International Million Day Fashion Contest, I could not have been more honored.  With my  love for vintage style and historical traditions, I was beyond excited to experience FATR's day of Equestrian culture and classic fashion!  In lieu of my usual Corset Friday post, today is a special recap in photos of this glamorous day.  The fashion competition and toast to our stylish winners took place at the elegant Champagne Tent, and then proceeded to the race track where we announced our 'best dressed' to the audience.  The excitement of being surrounded by stunning thoroughbreds, famed international jockeys, and attendees in beautiful hats... it certainly brought to life a feeling of the past.

I wanted to revel in this nostalgic occasion, so I chose a classic feminine silhouette accompanied by plenty of feathers and frills!  Stealing the show in part, was my exquisite custom fascinator by incredibly talented Milli Starr.  I have never owned a head adornment quite so beautiful, and each detail was hand-placed by Laura, the bespoke milliner of Milli Starr.  It was crafted of sinimay base with honeycomb veiling overlay, and blocked & stitched chenille-dotted veiling.  Cascading upward are gorgeous Victorian feathers, softly resembling the wings of a bird... and then it is all topped off with a chic pom pom accent in front.  Laura uses old world couture methods, applying the intense training she acquired from her Certificate in Millinery from the prestigious Fashion Institute of Technology in New York.  She combines her bespoke skills with her Museum Studies of costume and textiles to create brilliant and original designs.  Milli Starr's bespoke methods and application of years of traditional training are factors that are dear to my own heart... and intensified even further my respect and admiration.

I highly recommend commissioning a hat, and be sure to take a look at her gorgeous work here!  Also visit Fashion at the Races to be inspired by a world of style in the equestrian world.

Photographer :: LymanDMV Photography
Hat :: custom by Milli Starr
Dress :: Pinup Girl Clothing
Shoes :: Similar

i-V8XvGVf-X3
i-BqTnz7M-X3
i-sjBnzXB-X3
i-Ln5sbDn-X3
i-vG2httL-X3
i-T3zQSbJ-X2
i-pKWC7h4-X3
i-LkMh7jd-X2


the contest... 

i-6CcqsTr-X3
i-BsKTvnH-X3
i-VKvH4m7-X2

congratulating our winners in front of the audience...

i-5GwwCzF-X3

Some of my own photos at the entrance to Arlington International...


IMG_5760 copy
IMG_5658
IMG_5829 (1) copy copy
IMG_5786 copy
IMG_5843 copy copy
IMG_5816 copy
IMG_5750 (1) copy
IMG_5777 copy


3 comments:

  1. Yes, the fascinator is fantastic, but "stealing the show" was YOU! You must get such a thrill when you look at these pictures of your figure. I really don't know why more women don't wear corsets. You simply look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely outfit :)
    BLOG M&M FASHION BITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I love you in purple.
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Ciao and thanks for stopping by! I read and appreciate each and every comment so much. Feel free to also connect with me on Instagram and Twitter - all links are on my sidebar.

X baci
Rachel